To do this you have to directly log on to the unit and reset the password using “maintainer” account. Password has its own format and it will be bcpb<serial-number>.
Note: Letters of the serial number are in UPPERCASE format.
You will have only 14 seconds or less to type in the username and password. Therefore, be necessary to have the username and the password ready in a text editor and then copy and paste them into the login screen. There is no indicator of when your time runs out so it is possible that it might take more than one attempt to succeed.
- Connect to the Firewall through console port using terminal emulator such as Putty.
- Power off the Fortigate Firewall/Analyzer.
- Power on the Firewall.
- Wait for the Firewall name and login prompt to appear.
- Copy and paste the username and the password.
- Execute following commands to reset the password.
config system admin
set password XxXXxXxx
- Password is set.