- RJ-45 to DB9 Console Cable
- RJ-45 Cable
- TFTP Server
- Log in to https://support.fortinet.com/EntryPage.aspx
Click “Firmware Images” under the Download section.
- Click on “FortiGate”
- Click on required Firmware Version.
- Click on the required Patch.
- Locate the correct Image file and download.
Refer the Release Notes as well.
- Plug your RJ-45 to DB9 Cable into the FortiGate Console port.
- Open Device Manager and see the COM port which has been used by the converter.Open Putty and select the connection type as “Serial”, type the Serial line and click “Open”.
- You will be prompted for user name and password.
Log in with below credentials
Password: <blank> (Password is empty)
- Restart the box using execute reboot command.
When the console displays Press any key to display configuration menu.. prompt press a key to enter to the configuration menu.
[G]: Get firmware image from TFTP server.
[F]: Format boot device.
[B]: Boot with backup firmware and set as default.
[I]: Configuration and information.
[Q]: Quit menu and continue to boot with default firmware.
[H]: Display this list of options
- Enter “F” as the selection and hit enter. This will erase all data. Wait for the device formatting to complete. In the next selection prompt type “G” and press enter.
- Now you have to enter TFTP server details. Before moving to this step open TFTP server and set your downloaded firmware image path in current Directory, Interface.
- Again go to the Putty window and see the given ethernet port. Plug RJ-45 Cable into the given interface.
- Now specify the TFTP server address.
In “Local address” prompt type an unused IP address that is on the same subnet as the TFTP server.
Type/Paste firmware image file name and press enter.
The console periodically displays a “#” to show the download progress.
- After download the firmware image it will be verifying the integrity of the firmware image.
At “Save as Default firmware/Run image without saving:[D/R]” prompt press “D”
The FortiGate unit installs the new firmware image and restarts. The installation may take a few minutes to complete.
- Now log in to the FortiGate unit with above same user name and password.
Type show system interface to list down the all interfaces with their IPs.
- Plug the RJ-45 cable into one of the LAN port and log in with the default ip. (192.168.1.99)
- By default FortiGate unit working as Switch Mode and you can change this by changing Mode.
Note: Prior to change the mode you may have to delete any rules which has been already assigned in the Policy tab.
- Select Interface Mode and click OK.
- Again log in through Putty and change the port ip address as requires.
At the prompt enter below commands to change the ip of port1.
show system interface port1 (will display current ip settings)
config system interface
set up 192.168.200.254/24
set allowaccess ping http https
Plug your RJ-45 cable in to port1 and now you are ready to configure your FortiGate Firewall.